20+ Energy Savings Tips For Families
Even if you are saving money by switching providers with the 9Saver Power Campaign special offers, you can still cut those bills even further with these handy tips
Whatever the size of your family, it’s likely there are some simple steps you could be making to save money on your energy bills. From the time you schedule your family clothes wash to shaving a couple of minutes from your morning shower, these simple tips could see you saving $100s from your energy bill.
- Use the toaster rather than a grill. It uses much less electricity.
- Stack the dishwasher and don’t run it until it’s completely full.
- Connect the dishwasher to cold water.
5. Electric fan-type ovens are more efficient than conventional ovens.
6. Shift your usage. Save about $260 a year by using washing machines, dishwashers or heating during off-peak times. Turn them on when you go to bed.
7. Fill in or cover over your backyard swimming pool if you never use it! A pool pump can cost anywhere from $600 to $1500 a year to run and a spa costs about $240.
12. Cover it. An insulated cover on pools and spas will save money.
13. Solar or gas is cheaper than electricity for heating pools.
14. Visit your local movie theatre or shopping mall and use their air con on hot days!
16. Read to the kids at night using a torch. They’ll love it.
17. Bake on cold days to heat up the house. Then have your cake and eat it!
18. Take shorter showers. Did you know showering can make up to 60 per cent of your hot water usage?
20. Take a shower rather than a bath. It’s more hygienic and you’ll save more.
21. Shower in twos!
22. Use timeout devices for all non-essential appliances e.g. televisions so that the power is cut to the appliance when it is not being used.