How busy mums and dads can earn quick cash on the side
The quick and easy way busy parents can earn some cash on the side. From Avon to Airbnb, 9Honey’s Jo Abi has her top five ways to potentially earn thousands of dollars.
Cost of living pressures are forcing many stay-at-home parents to look for quick and easy ways to make money.
9Honey’s Jo Abi reveals the top five ways busy mums and dads are supplementing their household budgets with these so-called “side-hustles”.
Q. What are some great ways to make money on maternity leave?
Q. How can you make some quick cash in the share economy?
There are plenty of people making money out of the share economy. Companies like Airtasker, Uber and Airbnb are giving time-poor parents the chance to work when they want to. Apps like ‘car next door’ – where you make your car available for short-term rentals – are safe ways to get involved and earn you up to $2000.
Q. How can a spring clean save you thousands?
Selling all those unwanted goods lying around the house is a great way to make money and declutter your home. In fact Gumtree reveals that every Australian household is sitting on just over $5400 worth of unwanted items under their own roof. The website says their top product categories are furniture, clothing, electronics and toys.
Tips for selling items on Gumtree:
1. Be honest: Dedicate time to research what’s out there and the average price of similar items to make sure you’re setting a fair price.
2. Be descriptive: Describe the product you’re selling, including its features, a brief history and reasons for selling the item. The more information you provide, the more likely you are to make a sale at the price you’re looking for.
3. Upload high quality photos: Gumtree allows up to 5 photos for every listing. Use this to your advantage by uploading high quality images to make sure your listing stands out from the rest.
4. Manage your listing: Ensure you keep on top of incoming ad responses. Communicate quickly and directly with potential buyers through My Messages and download the Gumtree app on your phone so you can manage your ad on the go.
5. Always meet face-to-face: When buying or selling, it’s important to meet in-person to see the item and exchange money. For personal ease and safety, have someone with you if a buyer is coming to your home or workplace.
Q. What are some good online marketplaces to sell homemade items?
For those with a knack for arts and craft there are many opportunities to sell your creations online. Cash in on your creativity at Etsy, a website designed to help people buy and sell handmade or vintage items. Facebook provides another great way to earn quick cash enabling users to sell items both here and overseas. Of course you can also set up a stall at your local markets or community event.
Q. How can you get cash for comment?
Don’t underestimate the money that can be made by giving your two cents. Become a secret shopper and get paid to give your feedback on some of our biggest retailers. Many people are earning hundreds of dollars per week by filling out online surveys from the comfort of your own home, while a number of companies are also looking for people willing to test their products.