1. About 9Saver
9Saver is an initiative of RevTech Media Pty Ltd ABN 75 150 963 474 (‘9Saver’, ‘we’, ‘our’ or ‘us’) and Nine Entertainment Co Pty Limited ABN 59 122 205 065 (‘Nine Entertainment’).
The 9Saver Website, www.9Saver.com.au, features editorial content regarding money-savings tips and tools and cost of living articles from Nine’s news and current affairs programs and also provides links to recommended products mentioned in the editorials as well as offers from 9Saver’s partners.
Users of the 9Saver Website are not required to be a member in order to access and use the 9Saver Website, however registered members will receive access to weekly newsletters from 9Saver.
Our commitment to protecting your Personal Information
We are committed to complying with our obligations under relevant privacy legislation set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and embodied in the Australian Privacy Principles.
This policy can be accessed from the 9Saver Website at www.9Saver.com.au.
Should you require a copy of this policy in another form please contact us via the contact details set out at the end of the policy and let us know.
In this policy, any reference to a ‘third-party partner’ or ‘partner’ means:
- a) a provider, supplier or distributor (or potential provider, supplier or distributor) of a product, service or utility which is (or may potentially be) partnered with us for the purposes of facilitating or initiating any offerings, discounts or switching opportunities made available to 9Saver members or potential members; or
- b) a person or entity who assists us as an intermediary for the purposes of facilitating or initiating any offerings, discounts or switching opportunities made available to 9Saver members or potential members.
2. Personal Information
A reference to “personal information” means any information or opinion about you from which your identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion regardless of whether the information or opinion is:
- true or not; or
- recorded in a material form or not.
3. Application of this Policy
This policy applies to personal information we receive or collect from or about you. This may occur when you:
- use the 9Saver Website or our social media sites;
- upload any photos or information about yourself on the 9Saver Website or any of our social media sites (e.g. Facebook);
- register your interest with 9Saver or any 9Saver Partner Offer;
- become or remain a member of 9Saver;
- contact 9Saver;
- participate in a 9Saver partner offer or editorial article;
- obtain a quote for one of our offers;
- apply for a job with us; or
- provide your personal information to us in any other way.
When you provide 9Saver, or a third-party partner of 9Saver, with personal information, you expressly consent to 9Saver using, handling and processing your personal information for the purposes and in the ways outlined in this policy (see section 6 below) or such other purpose as communicated to you by 9Saver or the relevant third party.
4. What information do we collect?
The types of information we keep on record will depend on the type of product or service used or requested by you. The type of personal information commonly collected for the purpose of our functions and activities includes:
- identification and contact information (e.g. name, age, date of birth, address, telephone number, email address etc.);
- financial information (e.g. who you bank with or the banking products you use or would like to use);
- sensitive information (e.g. health services or products you use or obtain);
- your IP address for your interaction with various parts of our 9Saver Website. Your IP address is the identifier for your computer when you are using the internet; and
- consumer related information on household spending and products.
We may also collect photographs and/or personal information you upload on the 9Saver Website or any of our social media sites, e.g. in connection with a 9Saver editorial story, campaign or partner offer, or during our regular day-to-day activities and use of those sites. You consent to 9Saver posting and using these photos and/or personal information on the 9Saver Website, any of our social media sites (including Facebook) and in any other content or advertising copy we may use for the purpose of our functions, activities, editorial content and/or campaigns/third-party partner offerings.
We will advise you in accordance with relevant privacy legislation when we collect your personal information and for what purpose.
If you do not provide the personal information you are requested to provide by us or a third-party partner, you may be unable to enjoy the full benefits of membership or use of 9Saver, or participate in, or be notified of, relevant offerings, campaigns and switching opportunities.
If we receive your personal information without soliciting it, we will, within a reasonable period after receiving it, determine whether or not we could have collected it if we had sought it. If so, we will treat it in accordance with this policy.
If we could not have collected the personal information, and it is not contained in a Commonwealth record, then if it is lawful and reasonable to do so we will, as soon as practicable, destroy the information or ensure that it is de-identified.
We may also collect some statistical information about visitors to the 9Saver Website (for example, the number of visitors, pages viewed, types of transactions conducted, time online and documents downloaded). Some of this statistical information is collected by using cookies, but none of the statistical information
we collect allows us to identify a visitor. We use this information to evaluate our website performance and continually improve our services. We may disclose this information in an aggregated form to third parties including advertisers or partners. We may also allow third-party companies to collect certain anonymous information when you visit the 9Saver Website. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information during your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or a third-party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioural advertising practice, you can visit networkadvertising.org. Other than statistical information, we do not collect any information about you through the 9Saver Website unless you provide the information to us.
5. How we collect your Personal Information
We will collect personal information directly from you unless:
- it is not reasonable or practicable to do so;
- you consent to us collecting it from other sources; or
- collection is otherwise permitted under relevant privacy legislation.
As outlined above, we may obtain your personal information via a third-party partner of 9Saver. By using the 9Saver Website or our social media sites, uploading any photos or information about yourself on the 9Saver Website or any of our social media sites, registering your interest with 9Saver or a 9Saver partner offer, becoming or remaining a member or user of 9Saver, contacting 9Saver, or participating in a 9Saver partner offer or editorial article, you consent to us collecting your personal information directly from our third-party partners.
6. Purpose of collecting your Personal Information
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- responding to your requests or queries;
- operating and improving the 9Saver Website, content, offers and services;
- providing you with news and information about 9Saver and our partner products and services (including newsletters, product surveys and special offers);
- providing you with more effective customer service;
- enabling us to conduct customer research;
- performing research and analysis aimed at improving our products, services and technologies;
- displaying content and advertisements that are customised to your interests, preferences and experiences;
- to provide you with information regarding current and future offerings or switching opportunities which we think may be of interest to you;
- occasionally sending marketing and promotional material about our products and/or services (or the products and/or services of our partners) that we believe you may be interested in.
- verifying your identity;
- communicating with you, including by email, mail or telephone;
- to develop and deliver editorial content on money-saving tips and tools and cost of living articles, and to source and identify potential 9Saver member/user offers, discounts or switching opportunities;
- to compile data and conduct analysis of 9Saver member/user statistics;
- to develop our business and operational processes for developing and delivering savings tips, money-saving tools and other editorial content, and potential offers, discounts and switching opportunities for our 9Saver members/users;
- to manage our ongoing relationship with our 9Saver members, users and commercial partners;
- to share experiences, provide commentary and feedback provided by our 9Saver members/users on the 9Saver Website or our other social media sites (which may also be transferred to other social media sites (including Facebook));
- to communicate with regulators or government departments in respect of 9Saver’s functions and activities;
- to administer and process 9Saver member/user participation in offerings and switching opportunities;
- to assess a job applicant and to allow us to carry out any monitoring activities which may be required of us under applicable law as an employer;
- ensuring our internal business operations are running smoothly, which may include fulfilling legal requirements and conducting confidential systems maintenance and testing; and/or
- using personal information as otherwise required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Spam Act 2003 (Cth)).
7. Disclosure of your Personal Information
Usually we must get your consent before we tell anyone about you. You can give us your consent expressly or it may be implied by your conduct. By using the 9Saver Website or our services, you are deemed to have consented to the matters in this policy. We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- Where we have your consent. As outlined above by using the 9Saver Website or our social media sites, uploading any photos or information about yourself on the 9Saver Website or any of our social media sites, registering your interest with 9Saver, becoming or remaining a member or user of 9Saver, contacting 9Saver, participating in a 9Saver partner offer or editorial article, or providing your personal information to us in any other way, you have
consented to us disclosing personal information to our third-party partners;
- Where we are under a legal or regulatory obligation to do so (for example, to a court or tribunal in response to a legal request, to a subpoena or to the Australian Taxation Office) or to protect the rights and interests, property, or safety of 9Saver, our members and users, or others;
- If all, or substantially all, of the assets of 9Saver are merged with or acquired by another party, in which case your personal information may form part of the transferred or merged assets;
- Where we provide stories or commentary or share photos or other personal information you have uploaded on the 9Saver Website or any of our social media sites onto other social media channels associated with 9Saver (including Facebook); or
- Where we use a third-party service provider to provide services that involve data processing, for example archival, auditing, hosting, professional advisory (including legal, accounting, financial and business consulting), mailing house, delivery, technology, website, research, banking, payment, data processing, insurance, marketing and security services.
- Facebook Custom Audiences: If you use Facebook, we may use your email address in an encrypted format to match with your Facebook profile so that we can provide you with personalised advertising on Facebook. This is subject to the privacy settings you have chosen on Facebook.
- Facebook Lookalike Audiences: If you use Facebook, we may use your email address in an encrypted format to enable Facebook to find other registered
users of their services that share similar interests to you based on how you interact with us and what information Facebook has about you. This is subject
to the privacy settings you have chosen on Facebook.
Where possible, we will inform you, at or before the time of collecting your personal information about other types of organisations to whom we may, with your consent, disclose your personal information. Prior to such disclosures, 9Saver will take all reasonable steps to satisfy ourselves that:
- the organisation has a commitment to protecting your personal information; and
- where necessary, you have consented to such disclosure.
Some of our third party partners may be located, or may have some of their business functions located, in countries outside of Australia (for example, a third
party partner may have a call centre located in Asia) (Overseas Recipients). We may update this policy from time to time to identify the location of any Overseas
Recipients, so please check it regularly. In order to carry out our business functions, including providing you with the full benefits of membership with one
of our consumer networks, it may be necessary for us to disclose your personal information to these Overseas Recipients. Before we do so, we will take such
steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the Overseas Recipients does not breach Australian privacy legislation in relation to your personal information.
If it is necessary for us to transfer your personal information outside Australia to any other entities or in any other circumstances, we will comply with the relevant
privacy legislation relating to trans-border data flows and cross-border disclosures.
8. Direct Marketing
We own the database rights in the information collected via the 9Saver Website or any of our social media sites.
We and our third-party partners may use your personal information to contact you about, among other things:
- potential savings tips and tools, member/user offers, discounts or switching opportunities for consumer products, services and utilities which we (or the relevant third-party partner) think may be of interest to you;
- changes to our organisation;
- new products, services, utilities or switching opportunities being offered to 9Saver members/users through us or in combination with any third-party partner; or
- your membership, potential membership or use of 9Saver.
You may be contacted in various ways including, but not limited to, email, SMS, instant messaging, telephone, multimedia messaging or other form of electronic
communication (e.g. Facebook). As outlined above, by using the 9Saver Website or any of our social media sites, uploading any photos or information about
yourself on the 9Saver Website or social media sites, registering your interest with 9Saver or a 9Saver partner offer, becoming or remaining a member or user
of 9Saver, or contacting 9Saver, participating in a 9Saver partner offer or editorial article, you expressly consent to receiving electronic communications from us or,
where you have consented, a third-party partner, for the direct marketing purposes outlined above. You will always have the opportunity to opt out of receiving future communications at any time.
9. Updating or correcting your Personal Information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect is accurate, up to date and complete. We will also take reasonable steps to ensure that when we use or disclose your personal information it is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant, having regard to the purpose of the use or disclosure. We rely on your assistance to do this.
During the course of our relationship with you, we will ask you to confirm whether your personal information is correct or has changed.
You may also inform us of any changes to your personal information or correct any inaccuracy by contacting us via the contact details at the end of this policy. However, where there are grounds to refuse to correct the information as requested, we will provide you with reasons for not complying with your request.
10. Accessing your Personal Information
You may request access to any of the personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us via the contact details at the end of this policy.
There may be reasonable charges associated with processing your request to give you access to your personal information.
Access to your personal information may be denied on certain grounds including, for example: it is unlawful; it may have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals; or your request is frivolous or vexatious. If we deny you access we will provide our reason for doing so.
11. Dealing with us anonymously or by pseudonym
In order for us to effectively do business with you or make the 9Saver Website and associated content available to you, it will not, in most circumstances, be practical for us to deal with you without you providing relevant personal information to us. However, where it is lawful and practicable to do so, you may deal with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym. Such a situation might include where you make a general enquiry about current or potential 9Saver member/user offers, discounts or switching opportunities.
12. Sensitive Information
We will obtain your consent prior to collecting, using or disclosing sensitive information about you, except if we are required or permitted by law to collect, use or disclose it.
“Sensitive information” means information or an opinion about your racial or ethnic origin, political persuasion, memberships in trade or professional associations or trade unions, sexual preferences, criminal record, or health information.
13. Security of your Personal Information
We will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information by storing it in a secure environment. When the information is no longer needed for any purpose for which it was collected, used or disclosed, it will be destroyed or permanently de-identified.
We will also take reasonable steps to protect any personal information from misuse, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
14. Adoption, use or disclosure of Government Related Identifiers
We will not use Commonwealth government identifiers (e.g. your Medicare number) as our own identifier for you. We will only use or disclose such identifiers as permitted under relevant privacy legislation.
If you have any concerns regarding our compliance with with the Australian Privacy Principles or spam legislation please contact us via the contact details at the end of this policy. Your email should set out details of your concerns, and attach any supporting evidence.
When we receive your email, we will investigate the issue internally and contact you within a reasonable time to inform you of the further steps, if any, we will take to resolve your complaint. We may ask you for further information about your complaint. We will notify you in writing of the outcome of our investigation as soon as is practicable.
If you are unhappy with our response, there are other bodies you can go to. If your complaint is about how we handled your personal information, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone: 1300 363 992
If your complaint is about Spam, you can contact the Australian Communications and Media Authority:
Australian Communications and Media Authority
Tel: 1300 850 115
16. Contacting us
Please contact us at our offices via the contact details provided below if you want
- obtain further information about the way we manage your personal
- access your personal information held by us;
- raise a concern or make a complaint regarding how we collect or handle of
your personal information;
- correct or update your personal information held by us; or
- unsubscribe from any 9Saver mailing list or have any questions or complaints
regarding unsolicited electronic communications which you may have
received or are concerned about.