The best mobile plan deals to save you money
Canstar tech expert shares the best deals available now, for prepaid, data and coverage!
While there was a time when we weren’t all glued to them day and night, our phones have arguably become the one gadget we almost can’t imagine life without.
And while they’ve become a necessity in our everyday lives, mobile phone bills can also burn a huge hole in our pocket each month.
TODAY chatted to Harrison Astbury from Canstar Blue to find out what the best deals are, whether you’re interested in data, coverage or just want to find the best prepaid deal out there for your kids!
TODAY: Some people don’t want to be locked into a full-on contract.. what are the best options out there if you want to go pre-paid?
HARRISON: If you want maximum flexibility, control and bang for your buck, a prepaid mobile plan could be the way to go. Once the ugly duckling of mobile phone plans, many prepaid plans now offer awesome value for money, without locking you into a contract
- ALDI mobile* — for $15 per 30 days plus $5 upfront you will receive 500GB of data, unlimited national calls and SMS and until 28th February 2018, you can get 1GB of extra data when you recharge.
- Optus* — for $10 the Sim Starter Kit offers 15GB of data with unlimited talk and text, data free music streaming and unlimited international calls. This offer ends on March 28th 2018.
- Amaysim* — $10 every 30 days for 1GB as well as unlimited national calls and texts.
TODAY: Now if you’re a bit of a social media fiend, what are the best DATA deals on offer?
HARRISON: There are a few options here.
- Belong* — For $30 per month you can receive unlimited calls & texts plus 5GB data. Plus until the end of the month you can also receive a one-off data gift from 5GB up to 30GB on your first month.
- Vodafone* — For $30 per month you get 4GB of data, unlimited national calls and SMS and extra blocks of 1GB at $10 each
- Virgin* — For $32 a month you can get 15GB of data, unlimited national calls and SMS and ability to stream your music with no data charges. This is a $40 plan with 20% off until 26th March 2018.
TODAY: What about when it comes to phone coverage? Do we have to pay more if we want better phone service?
HARRISON: When it comes to coverage Optus*, Vodafone* and Telstra* are equal in metro areas. However, it’s only when you head into rural areas you notice the difference between providers, with Telstra having superior rural coverage.
TODAY: Finally, for parents looking to get their child their first mobile phone plan, what would you recommend?
HARRISON: Prepaid is recommended here so that kids can’t run up a huge bill. Once they run out of data they won’t be supplied with extra. Kids can get unlimited calls and texts for as low as just $10 and 1GB for 30 days. Here are the best options for kids 12 and under.
3 ways to save:
- Compare the best cheap mobile plans at whistleout.com.au*
- Get double data on large pre-paid plans at Kogan.com*
- Read the 9Saver Guide on “How to find the right (and the cheapest) mobile plan for you”
9Saver Partner offers
Join the 9Saver Power Campaign
Help unlock exclusive Energy Discounts
(plus get weekly savings tips)